-- Call us today --
(352) 394-4237

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chocolate Season

It is officially the Chocolate Season!  That is what I affectionately call the time between Halloween and Valentine's Day.  It's three and a half months long and is filled with reasons to eat chocolate.  Can you tell I am a chocoholic?  I am a chocolate snob and would prefer the good stuff but I never met a chocolate that I didn't like.  Clearly you can see why the Chocolate Season can be a problem for my weight maintenance.  Even if you're not a sweet eater, the holiday season is sprinkled with all kinds of temptations that are hazardous to your weight.  The average American gains seven pounds during the Holiday's.  Are you going to be the average American?

For the last seven Chocolate Seasons I have maintained my weight.  Miraculously.  Does this mean I don't eat Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pie, or Christmas cookies?  Are you kidding?  I'm not that strong.  I do say no more than I say yes, though.  I have to pick my battles.  Halloween candy wasn't a big problem this year.  I haven't had one piece.  I put my nose down to that big bowl of candy and took a wif.  EEEWWW.  That cheap, processed sugar stuff didn't smell the slightest bit appealing so I smugly walked away.  Somehow, walking away once has made it easier to walk away again.  And again.  Please be advised,  this law also works in reverse.  Having just one piece makes it easier to have another piece.  And another.

Thanksgiving will be another time I should be able to navigate fairly easily.  There are plenty of good choices of lean proteins and veggies.  AND it only lasts for one day, right?  OOHHH, leftover pie.  I forgot.  I'll be sure to send that home with someone else!  It's Christmas time that I really struggle.  All the nog and cookies and nog!!!  All the good smells make me crazy.  Pine needles and cinnamon  sends me straight to the cute Santa Claus cookie tray...with some nog, of course.  Now, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without some of these traditional yummies so this is how I manage.

I allow one day of moderate indulgence with a MINIMUM of two day's good behavior in between.  Why?  Because I need the time to recuperate from my sugar hangover and get my mind right!  For example, If I have a party to go to and I know I'm going to have some spiked eggnog (It is a party, after all!) and some holiday goodies, I can bet the next day I am going to be an insulin saturated mess.  We all know that insulin makes cravings go through the roof so I need to be on my best behavior the following day.  That's the day I'm going to crave mac and cheese and ice cream so I better have a plan.  You know my plans always include protein, fiber, and lots of WATER. lol.  This plan is no exception.  The next day I'm going to plan my good behavior...protein, fiber and lots of WATER.  This puts my mind back where I need it...on track.

This I know, one day off my plan and I'm OK.  I can get back on the wagon with a bit of effort.  Two days off my plan and I'm asking for trouble.  It's going to be a struggle getting it back together.  Three days off...forget it.  Not pretty.  So stick with one day off and at least two days on.  Stay of the speeding Holiday train cuz the next stop is Seven Pounds Up.  You don't want to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clermont Office
3115 Citrus Tower Blvd., Suite A
Clermont, Florida 34711
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
Orlando / MetroWest Office
1507 Park Center Drive, Unit 1H
Orlando, Florida 32835
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
iHealthSpot