-- Call us today --
(352) 394-4237

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back to school

I can't wait for the kids to go back to school.  I need routine!  I need order!  I need some peace and quiet!  Four of my five kids go back to school next week and as happy as I am about that, I am up to my armpits in school forms, school supplies, orientation schedules and the like.  When things get crazy like this at home, the drive thru starts  looking really good to me!  The drive thru, pizza delivery, and Chinese takeout...all of the things that make my life easier but my butt bigger!

Let me just say that I am a big advocate for eating at home.  It saves money, it saves calories, it gives you family time, and it gives you control.  Control over what you're eating.  BUT, when you don't even have two minutes to rub together fast food becomes a necessary evil.  I can say this,  if I'm on my game and planning right, I don't do the fast food thing.  Being prepared is 50% of the battle for me.  If I have a healthy option staring at me from my fridge, I'll pick it up.  But if I've blown off the grocery store for 3 days running I will succumb to the drive thru.

Here are my fast food rules:

1.  Kid size portions only...super size fries equals super size gut!
2.  Drink only water...gotta dilute all that fat and sodium!
3.  No buns...there is ALWAYS a salad available!
4.  Eat slowly...let your brain register the food you are taking in!
4.  Resist the urge to eat every last bite...stop when you are 70% full!

The last one is a tough one.  We live in a value driven society.  Believe me, I know the feeling of wanting to "get my money's worth" when I'm eating out.  I tell myself that I'll pay more just to be fit and trim.  THAT is worth the money.  Not the extra french fries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clermont Office
3115 Citrus Tower Blvd., Suite A
Clermont, Florida 34711
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
Orlando / MetroWest Office
1507 Park Center Drive, Unit 1H
Orlando, Florida 32835
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
iHealthSpot