-- Call us today --
(352) 394-4237

Monday, January 30, 2012

Shake it

I often have patients ask about the use of protein shakes.  Usually because they want something quick and easy for breakfast and they cannot stomach another egg.  An ounce of protein in the morning is all it takes to level out your blood sugar.  We want you to eat first thing.  Why not a protein shake?  Well, I'm not a fan of the protein shake and here is why...
  • I think we should chew our food.  Not drink it.  If I drink a meal replacement or a protein shake, I still want to eat.  And sometimes I do...right after I drink a meal replacement.  I've just had 2 breakfasts...FAIL!
  • Protein shakes almost always contain sugar and carbohydrate along with the protein.  The body will burn those sugars and carbs first before going to fat stores for fuel.  I don't know about you but I want my body to use up my fat stores...the sooner the better.
  • 1 ounce of lean protein from meat, eggs or cheese has about 100 calories.  Sometimes less.  Most protein shakes START at 200 calories and go up from there.  
 All that being said, if you still want to use protein shakes, do so at your own risk.  Shop around.  You want a shake that has 25 - 30 grams of protein (the equivalent of an ounce of chicken), low carbs (3 grams or less) and low sugar ( 2 grams or less).  If you find yourself hungry within an hour or two, don't be surprised.  Our minds don't tend to register calories we drink.  If this is the case for you, put down the shake and pick up a fork :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clermont Office
3115 Citrus Tower Blvd., Suite A
Clermont, Florida 34711
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
Orlando / MetroWest Office
1507 Park Center Drive, Unit 1H
Orlando, Florida 32835
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
iHealthSpot