-- Call us today --
(352) 394-4237

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fooling Myself

You know I love my new app for iPad, MyFitnessPal. It has been a real eye opener for me. I have been working in the weight loss and wellness field for several years and thought I couldn't learn anything new..I was so wrong ( I'm choking again...that seems to happening a lot lately)!   Two things struck me right away when I started using my app so I'll have to write this in two parts. Part 1 is called "I need to take my vitamins!"

I've always been hit or miss when it comes to taking vitamins. I keeps them in a kitchen cabinet and when I open it I'll take them! The operative phrase here being "when I open it!". If I feel a cold coming on, I'll take my vitamins. If someone reminds me, I'll take my vitamins. I've always thought I was OK because for the most part I eat very well. I eat my veggies. I eat fish. I eat a spinach salad almost every day. I'm good. Or so I thought.

After a week of food journaling on my new app, I clicked on the nutrients icon and low and behold...I was DEFICIENT. The app calculated everything I had eaten for the week and gave me the nutritional profile and then had the nerve to compare it to the USDA recommended amounts of key vitamins and minerals. Yup, I came up short. Not just in one area either. I was missing calcium. I was missing fiber. I was missing vitamin D among a few.  So much for that daily spinach salad.

So now I'm not just an app convert. I'm a vitamin convert also. I've taken my Total Family Healthcare vitamins out of the cabinet and put them on the counter where I can see them. And take them. Every day!  This is something so many of us want to do, and somehow it just gets away from us.  Don't let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clermont Office
3115 Citrus Tower Blvd., Suite A
Clermont, Florida 34711
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
Orlando / MetroWest Office
1507 Park Center Drive, Unit 1H
Orlando, Florida 32835
Toll-free: (866) 212-2943
iHealthSpot